Friday, May 29, 2009

Guest Blogger: Vicki from Vegesack

Good book? $15.00. New shoes for the trip? $40 (a pair) (OK, x 3). Fifteen hours on a plane? Priceless.

I watched people, enjoyed my neighbors, even the young girl who kept nudging me with her feet as she slept curled up in her seat on the long flight across the ocean, and was grateful and amazed at where I was.

I read the book that had been recommended by a friend. The book made me laugh out loud so often I found myself furtively glancing at my airborne neighbors to see if they were wondering about my lunatic tendencies. I got to read a good book for the first time in a very long time.

Annemarie was just as cute as ever, full of charm and energy, and I know she had to get up at 4:00 a.m or something to get me in Duesseldorf. What a hospitable person. Now begins the royal treatment!

After a little snack (cheese and homemade bread) and a nap, it was time for a very “lecker” lunch with Guenther and Annemarie. Yum. And I don’t want to make you envious so I won’t say more. But I would not lie, “yum” is the word.

I got to see all three adult children of the family, which I was assured was quite a rare occurrence. The whole family is a very tight-knit group, but with plenty of room for fun and independence. (Ask me about Karla’s story of Guenther’s scarecrow, those who know them!)

After that, on to the train to Bremen. There my lovely Elizabeth was running along the tracks to meet me like in the old movies! Very exciting reunion followed, and we took another train to the Blue House where she lives and I will stay until next Friday. Next a quick tour of the Blue House, unpack and sleep in heavenly peace.

And now comes the pause for reflection: Whenever I come here, it seems to me for the first few days that people are putting on an elaborate game just for my amusement by speaking this German language. It is so much fun to try to interpret and communicate, and I am grateful for all their work to establish this puzzle for me. Eventually I become less delusional and accept that they do this for themselves and because that’s how they know how to do it but it takes me some time to get there… that’s how self-centered I am! And I wouldn’t say that to just anyone, but you, my devoted facebook and blog friends, would never think less of me, would you?

Anyway, we wandered casually around the harbor and inlet here, before boarding the bus to tour the campus of Jacobs University. There I met several of her friends, a nice group of people from places all over, but surprisingly many of whom were from the United States! How had these people ended up here??? Tonight I continued to meet friends. On next Thursday we will cook dinner for them and Elizabeth will hold a reverse housewarming, donating the items she can’t bring home.

Friday update:
What a wonderful and relaxing day. We had the most excellent lunch and tea with a couple who have helped Elizabeth a lot while she was here. Renata and Hermann are the “host parents” for one of Elizabeth’s friends. When E was in distress early in her time here over her living situation, they took her under their wings and helped her move to this beloved Blue House. They also gave her dinner and company and were just excellent friends. We hope one day they will visit us so we can attempt to repay them. (No snickers, those who know my cooking!)

Then we returned to the Blue House and I lay around like a sloth, reading a novel and just relaxing. Most wonderful and exactly what I needed today.

Tomorrow: Checking out downtown Bremen and an End-of-the-Year Festival at Jacobs University.


Tschuss! Vicki from Vegesack










Komm mit! (Come with!)

The name of Alex's German book and an invitation to you!












"Broken English Spoken Perfectly"

Thank goodness!















Vegesack is an old shipping town

3 comments:

Ufrank said...

Great idea! Always love the pictures. Please don't make us look up those German words.Tschuss- you had to make that one up.15 hrs on the plane. Whew,that sounds horrible. The plane was full too?Glad you are having fun. Had to be a memorable reunion.Bluehouse sounds very homey.What a wonderful once in a lifetime experience for both of ya!Keep those pix coming if it's not too much work.Everything fine here.

Stacie said...

I'm glad you're having a great time! Good first post, guest blogger!

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful and relaxing. You deserve it!

Margie

PS - You need to update the date on your camera!:-)