Monday, May 25, 2009

Southern food, BBQs, and Good-byes

Hey Everybody!

Sorry about the delay in the blog updates – it’s finals time and my life and schedule has gone crazy.

So let’s do a little back tracking to last Friday night, 15 May. It was the last time my friends and I met to cook with each other which made it particularly bittersweet. The theme of the night was Southern Breakfast with Blake (from Tennessee) taking the lead. We made country ham, bacon, scrambled eggs, pancakes, biscuits, and veggies with fruit salad for dessert. Really good food! We had more people than we’ve had in the past, but that was really nice. Maria, Kate, Adil, Tankut, Leah, Blake, and me were all there to enjoy each other’s
company and the food.

I had been working like crazy on two of my final papers – one for Asian History class and one for Migration, Globalization, Linguistics, and Literary Taxonomies. After working like a mad woman on them on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday I finished them on Tuesday afternoon – and then took the evening off to recover. Wednesday night Leah had a get together to celebrate us handing in our final papers which was a lot of fun. We sat around eating yummy appetizer things and talking about everything under the sun.

On the Friday the 22 May I had a special session of my Asian History class for just the graduate students who had been in the class. I needed to read 280 pages and outline a chapter to prepare for this so I spent Wednesday and Thursday reading and outlining. I did pretty good getting 230 pages read and the outline done. The 7 hour marathon session went pretty well. We talked about the democratization of China in the first half and the Tibet issue in the second – neither of which I had previous experience with so it was a chance to learn quite a bit.

Saturday 23 May was a huge grill out for all the graduate students which was so much fun! It was actually warm – it got to 70 degrees!!! We took off shoes, rolled up jeans and soaked up the sun. I actually got a little sun burnt which is pretty exciting. It was also the last chance for me to see a lot of these people so that was good. We had a really great day just enjoying each other’s company.

Saturday night I spent the night scouring the internet for sources for my final paper for European History class only to come to the conclusion that there wasn’t any I could get by Wednesday (when the paper needs to be finished). I panicked some then went to sleep.

Sunday was a sad, sad day. One of my closest friends here, Maria from Trinidad, left. We spent the day going to mass together, having brunch with some friends, then getting the very last of her stuff together. She gave me her cookbook from Trinidad and Tobago (which is now very precious to me) and I gave her a Skyline Chili seasoning packet. I’m now looking forward to cooking Trini for y’all!

Sunday night, after Maria left, I entered full on panic mode when it came to my European History final paper. I decided to be proactive about this and headed to the library and came up with six articles dealing with women and the Holocaust so I think I’m doing a survey of how academics deal with the subject of women in the Holocaust, looking for any common themes, etc. It’s Monday morning and I will have this 5000 word paper written by Wednesday. Any prayers, good juju, anything like that you want to send my way would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday my momma comes to visit which I am really looking forward too. We are going to take some daytrips and an overnight trip to Munich, spend some time in Bremen. I’m looking forward to introducing her to my friends, showing her my room in the Blue House and lots of other fun stuff.

I hope life isn’t too crazy for you right now and that you’re doing great!

Love,
Elizabeth









Maria making some pancakes for Southern Night





Blake frying up some country ham and bacon









Blake & Tankut hanging out



Leah, me, Maria, Adil, Kate, and Blake getting ready to enjoy some good food!
Lida, me, Tanja, and Maria enjoying the sun!










Tankut grilling some wurst




Maria and I soaking up the sun






Lyazzat and Maria enjoying the scenary and each other's company

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Yayay! Only two more days and I am so THERE.

Good blog, good friends, good learnin'. What a time this has been for you. See you real soon.

Momma!

Ufrank said...

Man that school sounds tough! Hundreds of pages to read, lot to write etc. Want to hear some history when you get back. (Don't know anything about strife in Tibet! ) See you soon!